RNAO clinical best practice guidelines (BPG) are comprehensive documents that provide recommendations, supporting evidence and resources/tools for evidence-based practices. The LTC Toolkit contains the RNAO clinical BPGs related to: person- and family-centred care, falls prevention and management, skin and wound care, continence care and bowel management, pain assessment and management, delirium, dementia and depression and responsive behaviours, prevention of abuse and neglect, alternative approaches to the use of restraints, oral care and end-of-life care.
New toolkit topic being added September 2017
Clinical toolkit topic on Mental Health and Addictions in LTC
Assessment and Care of Adults at Risk for Suicidal Ideation and Behaviour (2009) BPG aims to assist nurses provide evidence-based care to adults at risk for suicidal ideation and behaviours. Within the scope of this guideline, adults at risk may include any adult who may exhibit risk factors, with or without expressed suicidal intent. The potential health impact of this guideline is the reduction and prevention of risk for suicidal ideation and behaviours in adults, who receive care from RNs and RPNs, in any setting, thereby contributing to a reduction in suicide rates. The promotion of protection for the individual and families, the enhancement of reasons for living, and the delivery of successful nursing interventions will all reduce the risk for suicide.
The resources/tools for each clinical BPG topic are grouped into the following categories:
- RNAO Best Practice Guidelines
- Other Related/Supporting RNAO Best Practice Guidelines
- College of Nurses of Ontario Practice Standards and Guidelines
- Applicable Legislation and Regulations
- Other Practice Standards and Guidelines
- Organizational Assessment, Implementation and Evaluation
- Clinical Assessment and Care Planning
- Policies and Procedures
- Education and Teaching resources/tools
- Other Supporting resources/tools
- Related Websites/Organizations
Available French language resources are found in each toolkit topic and through the "All French Clinical resources link at the bottom of the navigation pane on the right side of the webpage
The clinical BPG topics included in the LTC Toolkit are listed in the navigation pane on the right side of the webpage. Hover your cursor over the BPG topic name to read a description. Click on the BPG topic name to open the page.
When you open the BPG topic page there is a navigation bar that contains a drop down list of the resource categories.
- To open the drop down list, click on the downward arrow.
- To select one of the resource categories, click on the category name.
- To display a specific number of items per page, click on the downward arrow and select the number you wish to display.
- To display all resources, click all in the dialogue box. Click on apply to display the resources.
- To open the resource/tool, click on the name.
- To read a brief description of the resource/tool, click on the + sign to show description.
Finding a Resource
Use the SEARCH feature located in the top right corner of the webpage to look for a specific resource/tool.
Program Planning & Evaluation
Resources/tools to support program planning, implementation, evaluation and quality improvement for all BPG topics are located in the Program Planning & Evaluation section accessed through the navigation bar at the top of the webpage.